This is a webpage of a past event – photos and materials for download below
This Photonics21 workshop was organised by Polish Technological Platform on Photonics in cooperation with Polish Chamber of National Defence Manufacturers.
Photonics is a group of technologies based on creation, manipulation and detection of light – it includes classic optical elements, light sources, lasers, fiber optics, light detectors (visible, IR and UV), photovoltaics, LED lighting and displays.
Photonics technologies enable numerous defence and security applications. From threat detection and observation to weapon guidance to secure optical communication to tactical situation imaging to direct energy weapons – and more, as new applications arise each year. Photonics technologies are indispensable for the very manufacturing in the defence industry as well: on the production line and in quality control.
New technology developments and new strategic situation call for a discussion on new or updated applications of photonics in defence.
The Photonics 4 Defence live workshop will accompany the 30th anniversary edition of International Defence Industry Exhibition MSPO, in Kielce, Poland. MSPO is the 3rd largest defence exhibition in Europe and the main industry event in the region struggling with the current war situation.
The P4D workshop will bring together representatives of the European Defence Agency, national defence organisations, defence industry and photonics companies.
- user perspective on the role and opportunities for photonics in defence applications
- current and planned European research programmes
- new industry developments
- new applications ideas
- PhotonHub Europe for supporting innovation in defence
Some of the technologies to be presented:
- semiconductor materials for radar and laser application
- high energy lasers
- 3D scanning for vehicle adaptation, virtual databases and forensic research
- 3D-printed detectors for laser warning systems
- 3D-printed nanostructured optical fibre and lenses for secure and fast data transmission
- custom-made lightweight remote optical sensors
- infrared detectors and Focal Plane Array (FPA)
- fiber optics device for measurement of angular velocity and angels
The workshop agenda includes compact presentations of photonics industry, discussions with defence experts and defence industry representatives as well as an excellent networking opportunity.
Held during and on site of a busy international exhibition, the workshop will provide unique opportunity to connect with the defence industry and continue direct discussions at the stands of interested companies.
|9:30||Registration and welcome coffee|
|10:00||Welcome and introduction to PhotonHub Europe||Maciej J. Nowakowski, PPTF|
|10:10||Emerging and disruptive defence technologies: role and opportunities for European photonics||Fabrizio Berizzi, European Defence Agency|
|10:35||How to cooperate with Polish defence industry||Jakub Jaworski, Polish Chamber of National Defence Manufacturers|
|10:50||Photonics for Defense in the Berlin Brandenburg region||Mike Richardson, OpTecBB|
|11:00||Presentations of companies:|
|11:50||Summary and closing||Maciej J. Nowakowski, PPTF|
|12:00 – 14:00||Networking lunch|
Organisations registered as workshop participants:
- Amitech Pro
- Ayming Polska
- Cosel Europe GmbH
- Czech Optical Cluster
- Electric System & Laser Technology
- European Defence Agency
- GL Optic
- Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
- Łukasiewicz – Institute of Microelectronics and Photonics
- Military University of Technology
- National Laboratory for Photonics and Quantum Technologies
- PCO S.A.
- Phase One A/S
- PIRS, Pregowski Infrared Services
- Polish Armed Forces
- Polish Chamber of National Defence Manufacturers
- Rail-Mil Computers
- Transition Technologies MS
- VIGO Photonics
- WZE – Military Electronic Works
Workshop date and time:
8 September 2022 10:00 – 14:00 (Warsaw time, UTC+1)
Targi Kielce Congress Centre, ul. Zakładowa 1, 25-672 Kielce, Poland – during 30th International Defence Industry Exhibition MSPO